ABOUT EASTSIDE PLAZA
Set in a cultural harbour front location in the heart of Portsmouth, Gunwharf Quays is the South's leading designer shopping outlet. Boasting over 90 stores and over 30 restaurants, bars and coffee shops, Gunwharf Quays is a unique and vibrant shopping and leisure destination.
Eastside Plaza comprises 315 residential apartments including studios, 1, 2 and 3-bedroom apartments and penthouses, in three adjoining blocks:
- 'The Blue Building', five storeys high with 57 apartments,
- 'The Crescent', 11 storeys with 117 apartments;
- '1 Gunwharf Quays', the centrepiece prestigious tower block (known affectionately as 'The Lipstick tower', due to its unique architecture), 29 storeys with 141 apartments; and
- A multi-storey car park.
A Wonderful Place to Live
There are many advantages to living in Eastside Plaza, some of which are unique.
- Eastside Plaza is a prestigious development managed by the residential leaseholders;
- All apartments are of contemporary modern design, many with floor to ceiling windows and superb views over Portsmouth, the Historic Dockyard, the Solent, and the Isle of Wight;
- Many apartments have raised height ceilings giving a spacious feel;
- All apartments own at least one car parking space in a secure three storey car park;
- All residents have access to a private podium terrace;
- 24-hour Buildings Management team, on-site 365 days of the year;
- A superb location in a thriving and lively community, with many leisure facilities in Gunwharf Quays including multi-screen cinema, bowling complex, Casino, the Spinnaker Tower, a waterfront marina, 30 restaurants, cafes and bars, and 90 high end shops;
- A main line railway station and bus / coach interchange, Isle of Wight fast cat ferry and Gosport ferry within a 5-minute walk;
- Easy access to the M27 motorway network; and
- Wightlink's vehicle ferry to the Isle of Wight is right next door.
The Gunwharf Quays development began when the historic naval shore base called HMS Vernon was sold by the Ministry of Defence for redevelopment in 1996. The shopping complex and 300+ apartments in the initial phases were built from 1999 onwards, with the Spinnaker Tower being completed in 2005.
The final two-acre site (which is now Eastside Plaza) at the eastern end of the old HMS Vernon naval establishment was originally planned for hotel development. However, as other land at the north east end of the site became unexpectedly available, a hotel (the Holiday Inn Express) and The Roundhouse apartment complex were built there. Consequently, Berkeley Homes submitted a revised planning application in 2003 for the remaining site to become the Eastside Plaza development, which was finally approved in 2005.
Work started on-site in 2006, and by the end of 2008, around 156 apartments, mainly in The Blue Building and The Crescent, had been sold and occupied. Construction continued through to 2010 and the final apartment was sold in 2013.
In December 2017 the directors of the holding company Gunwharf Quays (Eastside Plaza) Management Company Limited "GQ(EP)MC Ltd" were replaced by volunteer leaseholder directors, who for the first time became responsible for managing the estate on behalf of leaseholders and residents.
The Directors of GQ(EP)MC Ltd appointed Encore Estate Management Ltd. as our managing agent, to manage the development on our behalf from 1st July 2018.